Undergraduate Alternate Grading Options for the Spring 2020 Semester in Response to the Pandemic
Recognizing the unique Spring Semester circumstances and the challenges that might come with adapting to online course delivery, Lake Erie College has made an important decision allowing students considerable flexibility in determining their grade options for ongoing Spring 2020 courses.
These options are available only to undergraduate students and for classes that were changed from on-campus classes to remote learning. Classes that were online as of the start of the semester are not eligible.
Students wishing to request an alternate grade for a class must submit the Alternate Grade Option Request Form to the Registrar’s Office. The form may be found on LEO (Students Tab, Spring 2020 Special Undergraduate Grading Options page on left) or requested from the Registrar’s Office (email@example.com). Each request will be reviewed by the Academic Affairs team to ensure the student understands all possible ramifications before final approval is granted.
Deadlines to request an alternate grade option:
- Graduating May Seniors: Monday, May 11, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
- All Other Undergraduates: Friday, May 15, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
- Late Withdrawal: Request a late withdrawal from a specific class. The grade of “W” will not earn credits nor calculate in the term or cumulative GPA.
- Incomplete: Request an Incomplete for a specific class. This option must have instructor’s support and approval. The deadline for a final letter grade to be submitted is December 4, 2020.
NOTE: Students who have an Incomplete from Fall 2019 will receive an extension to December 4, 2020 without applying for an exception as stated in the Incomplete Grade Policy.
- Pass/Fail Grade: Request for a specific class to be graded as Pass/Fail. Credit will be earned for the class without a grade point average calculation for term or cumulative GPA.
Due to the extenuating circumstances, Lake Erie College has suspended the rules of the Pass/Fail grading option per the 2019-2020 Undergraduate Academic Catalog (pg. 47-48). The following will apply for the Spring 2020 semester only:
- All undergraduate students are eligible for the option.
- Students may request the Pass/Fail option regardless of current academic standing.
- Students are not limited to the number of classes requested as Pass/Fail.
- Pass/Fail may be requested for any class, whether CORE curriculum, major, minor or concentration requirement, or an elective class.
- Grades of D- or better will be equal to a Pass.
- The instructor will submit the letter grade for the class in LEO as usual. The Registrar’s Office will post the final Pass/Fail grade based on the established criteria.
Dean’s List: Students who earn a 3.50 term GPA or higher with a minimum of nine credit hours of letter-graded coursework will be eligible for the Spring 2020 Dean’s List. Choosing the Pass/Fail option may impact students’ Dean’s List achievement.
Latin Honors: There will be no change to the calculation for Latin Honors for graduating students for May 2020 degree conferral regardless of spring 2020 grades.
Have a question or need clarification?
Or Join us for an open session:
- A Google Chat hosted by Dr. Brent Robinson will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2020 from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm.
- A Google Meeting session for Faculty will be hosted by Barb Helms on Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:30 pm. Please RSVP sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join the meeting.