Notice of Vacancy
The stable assistant acts as an overall assistant to the stable staff supervisor.
- Assists with general stable procedures, which include but are not limited to:
- Daily cleaning of stalls.
- Feeding and watering of horses, including removing ice and filling of water buckets.
- Sweeping of aisles, wash racks, breezeways and entryways.
- Lifting/moving bales of hay and bags of shavings and grain.
- Turnouts, including stallions and young and unpredictable horses.
- Handling a variety of horses safely and with confidence, including leading, grooming, picking hooves, haltering horses and putting horse blankets on and off.
- Maintaining safety procedures when working with all horses.
- Assisting with/holding horses for veterinary, dentist or farrier work, as assigned.
- Show preparation, including set up of temp stalls, distribution of bedding, equipment and horses, etc.
- Cleaning of the stable, including washing walls and stalls, removing cobwebs and general cleaning.
- Performing any other tasks which the stable staff supervisor deems necessary.
- Experience in the above areas; good horsemanship skills required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including but not limited to 6:00 am - 4:30 pm shifts.
- Organization, dedication and the ability to communicate effectively and work independently.
- The desire to be a team player.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with coworkers and perform tasks as scheduled.
- Coursework in equine studies is a plus.
- Must have the ability to lift 75 lbs. or more.
- Must be able to drive a tractor and back wagons through barns.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method for applications) or Stable Assistant Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. EOE