Semester and Academic Year Abroad Opportunities
Ok, so you've decided you want to take the plunge. Great! We're here to help you through the process of spending a semester or year abroad, from school selection to reflection on your experience after returning, and everything in between! With a tradition of International Programs going back to the 1950s, we strongly encourage all of our students to study abroad. What are the highlights of a semester abroad? Read on!
- You are able to truly immerse yourself in another culture.
- Programs last one or two semesters, depending on student preference.
- This unique experience allows you to remain a Lake Erie College student and receive credit towards graduation based on evaluations of faculty at your chosen study abroad location. In other words, credits transfer back.
- Counts as time in residence, meaning you graduate on time.
- You remain a Lake Erie College student throughout, even though you are abroad. This means that you don't have to worry about transferring scholarships, grants, or loans; they are all applied as normal.
- You have the opportunity to study abroad either with one of our partner schools as an exchange student, or at any other school as a study abroad student.
- Accommodations are with local families, in student apartments or in residence halls.
- While you may study virtually anywhere, popular destinations include England, Ireland, Spain, Germany and Australia.
- If you haven't yet completed your Cultures and Values requirement, you can do this by studying abroad and earn four college credits by taking the IS300/301 series. These classes are designed to help you prepare for your trip abroad and reflect on it while there and after your return.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Collis, Associate VP for Academic Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 440.375.7175.
Charles Sturt University, Australia
University of Limerick - Limerick, Ireland*
Hartpury College - Gloucestershire, UK*
University of Guelph - Ontario, Canada
*Indicates school is not an official partner but Lake Erie College has worked with them in the past or plans to work with them in the future