Assistant Coach, Men’s and Women’s Track & Field and Cross Country
Notice of Vacancy
Assistant Coach Men’s and Women’s Track & Field/Cross Country
REPORTS TO: HEAD COACH, MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD AND CROSS COUNTRY
STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, SALARIED
Lake Erie College, located in Painesville, OH, invites applications for the position of assistant coach, men’s and women’s track & field and cross country. The coach is responsible for recruiting, organization and supervision of the College’s track & field and cross country program.
Lake Erie College is an NCAA Division II program that competes in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC). Recent successes within the program include individual national qualifiers, All-Americans and national champions and top-20 national team finishes in indoor and outdoor track & field. Teams train at the world-renowned SPIRE Institute, home to the Michael Johnson Training Facility.
- Organizes, in conjunction with the head coach, all aspects of the program, including facility, meet, practice and operational issues.
- Serves as recruiter for the sport of track & field, identifying and evaluating potential students with that interest and organizing their recruitment in conjunction with the Office of Admissions.
- Acts as a visible person to represent the College in a positive manner and to heighten the awareness of the institution to all of its constituents.
- Works closely with the promotional and fundraising efforts of the athletics department.
- Follows all institutional and NCAA regulations regarding track & field and cross country in particular and athletics in general.
- Projects and promotes the highest standards for student actions in order to best prepare them as solid citizens and alumni.
- Other duties as assigned by the head coach.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to recruit prospective student-athletes.
- Knowledge and specialization in distance and cross country preferred, including at least one year prior coaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Must have strong team-building and management skills.
- Must have ability to work across academic and administrative departments in a cooperative manner.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to supervise regular and temporary staff, as well as understand the student-athletes' commitment to academics is a must.
- Professional network with high schools and coaches in Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia and Pennsylvania preferred.
Qualified applicants will have the availability to work evenings and weekends, possess a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record and the ability to travel for team practices, competition and recruiting.
Under the NCAA Bylaw 11.1.6 Sports-Safety Training, each head coach and all other coaches who are employed full time at an institution shall maintain current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method for applications) or Assistant Coach, Men’s and Women’s Track & Field and Cross Country Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Learn more at https://www.lec.edu. EOE